Thursday 20 October 2011

73: Thursday 20th October 2011


I am amazed. Totally. It was recently suggested I might be missing some vitamins, the B12 variety in particular and this can be a major problem. Especially if you don't have a lot of meat in your diet. It can cause all sorts of things; 

  • Fatigue
  • depression
  • poor memory
  • muscle aches and pains
  • tingling sensations in hands and feet
  • irratability
  • and of course at the extreme end of the scale severe and irreversible damage, especially to the brain and nervous system

there's plenty more symptoms and I should have noticed sooner. The bloods have been sent off but looking at my diet and the symptoms I'm definately missing something so I've started taking a multivitamin. Just a cheap supermarket one but already (day 2) I can tell the difference. I feel 'awake' again for the first time since the op if not before hand. 

But hold on a second. Anyone who know's me will know I'm not a fan of 'medication' and artificial sources of such things. So while these are fixing the problem I intend to fix my diet. For those that are interested B12 is found in; 
  • fish and shellfish, 
  • meat (especially liver),
  • poultry, 
  • eggs, (but they also contain a factor that blocks absorption)
  • milk, 
  • and milk products.
  • Certain insects such as termites contain B12 (Hell no!)

Here's a table from the site I linked back up at the top.

I can work with that... 

Score 7/10: lots achieved/completed, and a 'things are looking up' kind of feeling
(and remember I'm not an expert- see your doctor)

No comments:

Post a Comment